Some of the ways you can reduce the carbon footprint of your home in order to reduce the amount of carbon offsets you need to make are:
- Double glaze your windows to keep the heat in
- Use solar panels for energy
- Insulate your roof
- Buy white goods with an A energy rating
- Fit energy saving light bulbs
- Switch off appliances at the wall and that includes computers!
- Replace your old boiler with a condensing boiler (according to CarbonNeutral.com this will save 1,100kg of CO2 a year)
- Switch energy suppliers. Ecotricity is the only UK supplier reinvesting in extra capacity / renewable sources. They're also in the top six companies on price so it needn't cost you or the earth!
As we're still in the midst of winter - these ones may have to wait until spring but you could certainly get a start on the preparations, like researching where to source materials.
- Create a compost heap and add to your garden with organic matter rather than buying oil based pesticides and plant growing enhancers
- Use a water butt to collect rain for watering your garden
- Line dry your washing - we all know how energy zapping tumble dryers are!