This recipe was given to me by my good friend Martina, one of the best home cooks I know!
- 15 Open mushrooms about 7.5-10cm (3-4 in) across
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100g / (3 ½ oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g / (2oz) walnut pieces
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 125g / (4oz) stilton, crumbled
- salt and black pepper
- 50g / (2oz) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 7.5 cm piece cucumber, finely diced
- 100ml / (4 fl oz) crème fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F Gas Mark 5. Remove the mushroom stems and finely chop together with 3 of the mushroom caps.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan, then add the onion, garlic and chopped mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes, until soft. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in the breadcrumbs, walnuts, 1 ½ tablespoons each of the parsley and chives, the lemon rind and Stilton. Season well.
- Place the 12 whole mushroom caps in a large ovenproof dish or roasting tin and divide the stuffing between them. Scatter with Parmesan, drizzle with the remaining oil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, basting once, until the mushrooms are tender and the tops have browned.
- Stir the remaining herbs and the cucumber into the crème fraiche and serve with the stuffed mushrooms.